The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
The British Consulate General in Jerusalem is seeking an individual for the position of Projects Support Officer (Gaza based), Grade – A2 (L).
Purpose of the job:
This job is an exciting opportunity to work in the British Consulate General’s Engagement team, to oversee the development and delivery of the Consulate’s conflict, security and stability fund (CSSF) programme activity in Gaza. The job holder will be based in Gaza, working from the British Information and Support Office (BISO) in Gaza City. The position will exist for one year.
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual, ideally with programme and project management experience. The successful applicant will have the drive and ability to see projects through from inception to delivery and impact assessment. The individual will also have experience in producing high-quality, fast work in collaboration with a range of stakeholders, including at senior levels.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Oversee all stages of the project lifecycle, supporting on project planning and then overseeing delivery and evaluation, ensuring projects are delivered by partners to agreed standards and schedules;
• Monitor project impact against programme objectives, including through regular attendance at project activities, and report to the heads of the CSSF programme and BISO, in accordance with agreed objectives and time frames;
• Rigorously monitor and manage risk in the projects, including through conducting detailed and ongoing due diligence of project implementers and activities.
• Lead on financial oversight of Gaza CSSF programmes, reporting to the CSSF finance lead in Jerusalem, including managing cash flow, transactions and financial risk and assisting in maintaining up to date financial information on Consulate accounting systems.
• Support the Head of Programmes and BISO Office Manager to develop and maintain productive working relationships with potential and existing project implementers, civil society leaders, NGOs, and with other international donors;
• Act as the Gaza lead in liaising closely with the British Consulate General Jerusalem, the UK’s Department for International Development and other UK Government departments on conflict programming in Gaza;
• Work with the Consulate’s Head of Communications to ensure appropriate media coverage of the Consulate’s Gaza programmes;
• The job holder will also be responsible for additional cross-Consulate tasks as required, including, but not limited to support on other projects, financial tasks and visits.
Key Competences Required for the Job:
• Delivering Value for Money – The efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. Seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
• Changing and Improving – It’s about being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done, and working in smarter and, more focused ways.
• Seeing the Big Picture – Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
• Managing a Quality Service – Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
17 April 2018
Fixed Term, Full-time
Middle East & North Africa
Occupied Palestinian territories
British Consulate General
1 May 2018
The position is full-time, fixed term at 38 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
This position is valid until the end of the financial year on 31 March 2019 only.
The job holder will be based in Gaza at the British Information and Support Office.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. A covering letter.
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV), of no longer than four pages.
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 17 April 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment/interview will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Consulate General are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local employment law.