The Gender Equality Advisor is responsible for supporting the integration of a strong gender equality perspective on the “Women and Youth Empowerment, Entrepreneurship, and Employment in the West Bank and Gaza (oPt)—funded by the Global Affairs Canada (GAC)” and the NORAD Project as well as the country office new and ongoing projects. This may include ensuring gender mainstreaming throughout the project’s results based management frameworks, strengthening and supporting gender equality strategies and facilitating gender equality capacity strengthening for the partner teams via training and/or tool development. The post holder also provides technical support to the GAC and NORAD project and other projects on gender equality. Additionally, the post-holder will support the PDQ team, with duties including but not limited to supporting the design of new programme as well as representing the country office on the development of gender equality tools, research, and trainings. The Gender Equality Advisor will work closely with Save the Children Canada (SCC) and Save the Children Norway (SCN) as well as all members of the project team.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Save the Children team, the Gender Equality Advisor will:
• Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s mission, vision and values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
• Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment in a way that promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
• Ensure that the Country Office establishes its own programme Gender strategy and thus the gender issue is mainstreamed in all Palestine Country programmes.
• Ensure that all programmes are scrutinized through a gender lens using various tools starting from design to evaluation.
• Ensure that all studies, research, evaluation, and ToRs are scrutinized through gender lens.
• Provide high quality technical assistance to “Women and Youth Empowerment, Entrepreneurship, and Employment in the West Bank and Gaza (oPt)” programme delivery teams, building a solid evidence base to support the development implementation and evaluation of gender-transformative approaches.
• Provide high quality technical assistance to the NORAD Funded project “inclusion for all”
• Support programme teams to review project deliverables and donor reports from a gender technical quality control perspective.
• Work with the PDQ and AMU departments to support the proposal development process and ensure that all proposals meet Save the Children’s minimum standard of gender sensitive or gender transformative based on the Gender Equality marker criteria.
• Ensure gender mainstreaming and considerations in emergencies, particularly for the Gaza emergency and in the development of our Humanitarian Response Plan project sheets.
• Supports integration and collection of appropriate gender equality indicators and collaborates to monitor and evaluate to ensure that gender equality outcomes and results are achieved and documented, including for a baseline gender analysis.
• Ensure that the activities are designed taking into consideration the different gender needs and rights for the different types of interventions.
• Supports the development and implementation of the Save the Children International Gender Equality Principles and the roll out of Save the Children’s Gender Equality Programme Guidance and Toolkit.
• When requested, represent the country office at relevant conferences and workshops.
• Identifies best practices and research to strengthen gender equality in all programming areas and collaborates with SCC to ensure learning contributes to Save the Children International knowledge management in this area.
• Build gender equality networks; liaises with other donors, programme staff of other agencies and members of Save the Children International, as appropriate.
• Ensure that gender marker is used and is followed up upon not only at the design stage but also during implementation.
• Respond to any arising needs out of the Organizational Assessment tools; by providing capacity building, awareness raising and trainings.
• Develop Gender Equality and Girl’s empowerment strategy.
• Strengthen sexual harassment policy and play a leadership role for that policy role out, conduct needs assessments that incorporate gender analysis; gender audit,…etc.
• Supports programme staff and partners, as well as the Country Office team, to strategically integrate gender equality through training and knowledge sharing activities.
• In collaboration with project staff, develop and pilot social and behaviour change communication approaches, materials and tools.
• Supports the development and roll out of gender sensitive programme/project management tools and results-based frameworks. Capacity building and team sensitization around gender, roles, and power dynamics.